Manchester City vs Hoffenheim Live | UEFA Champions League | Date: Wednesday, 12 December 2018 | Kick-Off at 20:00 UK / 21:00 CET | Venue: Etihad Stadium (Manchester)
Hoffenheim will welcome Manchester City in their last match of the preliminary round on Wednesday night at Etihad Stadium. The Citizens are three points ahead of Lyon in second place and, therefore, need a point here to secure first place in the group F. However, they will enter the game as big favorites as they face the vulnerable defensive line of Hoffenheim.
Die Kraichgauer has allowed 12 goals and has not yet won his first victory in the campaign (three draws and two losses so far). They sit at the bottom of the group ladder and need a victory to wait for a third place. However, there is nothing to suggest a possible discomfort for Etihad, as the Germans are fighting after four consecutive games without a victory over their opponents.
- Man City is unbeaten since its last six Champions League games against its German opponents (W5 D1) since the 1-0 defeat at Bayern Munich in September 2014. Guardiola led Bayern that day.
After playing 12 unbeaten games at Etihad Stadium in the Champions League (W9 D3), City has lost three of their last four games, despite beating Shakhtar Donetsk 6-0 in their last game of this type.
- Guardiola is looking to take his team to the first place in the group stage for the ninth time in 10 seasons of the Champions League. He had already failed in his first season with City (second in 2016-17).
- This will be the eighth meeting in the competition of the head of the city, Guardiola, against Hoffenheim as manager. He has not yet suffered a defeat against them (W6 D1 L0), six of these games played in the Bundesliga while he was director of Bayern Munich.
- Riyad Mahrez of City has scored more goals (four) than any other player in the Champions League this season, scoring one teammate every 75 minutes.
- Hoffenheim has already played outside once against the English opposition. they lost 2 to 4 against Liverpool in the playoffs of the 2017-18 edition of the competition and eliminated.
- If Hoffenheim cannot beat City, they will be the first to finish at the end of their group despite 10 goals or more since Olympiakos in 2002-03 (11 goals) and only the third team in the general classification (also in Monaco in 2000). 01; 13 goals)
- Hissenheim, Reiss Nelson, could become the first Englishman to score against an English team in the Champions League for a non-British team.
Manchester City vs Hoffenheim: Face to face
- The two teams met only once in the past and it was the second round of that period in the Champions League.
- Die Kraichgauer had a good start when Ishak Belfodil scored the first goal, but Sergio Agüero and David Silva turned around for the citizens. The winner of the match came three minutes behind the Spaniard.
- City beat Hoffenheim 2-1 in Germany on the second day. The first two shots scored in the first seven minutes (Ishak Belfodil for Hoffenheim and Sergio Agüero for the City) before Silva scored the winner in the 87th minute.
- There have already been 42 goals scored in this group so far. the record for a group in the history of the Champions League is 51 (Group F in 2016-17).
Manchester City vs Hoffenheim: Prediction
Man city will not be put in the more spiritual mind either. They fell to second place in the Premier League standings after losing 2-0 to Chelsea on Saturday night at Stamford Bridge.
Hoffenheim, however, drew 2-2 at Wolfsburg. It was his seventh consecutive BTTS match in all competitions. Die Kraichgauer has scored nine goals in the last four outings and we are not quite sure of his chances of leaving Etihad Stadium without at least three goals in his goal.
Man City to win by two goals or more by 1.57.
Manchester City vs Hoffenheim: Betting Tips
- Manchester City -1.5 handicaps @ 1.57 (4/7)