In North America, the professional ice hockey league names The National Hockey League (NHL) which is currently comprising 31 teams included 24 in the United States and 7 in Canada. In the world, the oldest professional sports trophy in North America named The Stanley Cup is awarded annually to the league playoff champion at the end of each season.
On November 26, 1917, the National Hockey League was organized in Montreal after the suspension of operations of its predecessor organization. In 1909, the National Hockey Association (NHA) which had been founded in Renfrew, Ontario. In 1926, before a series of league mergers and folds left the NHL as the only league left competing for the Stanley Cup and the NHL immediately took the NHA’s place that contested for the Stanley Cup in an annual interleague competition as one of the leagues.
Since 1989 when the head office moved there from Montreal the league’s headquarters have been in New York City. In 2009, the league resumed play in 2005–06 under a new collective agreement that included a salary cap. and the entire 2004–05 season had led to the cancellation after a labour management dispute. The NHL enjoyed record highs in terms of attendance, sponsorships, and television audiences.
The Stanley Cup to be one of the “most important championships available to the sport” and it considered by The International Ice Hockey Federation (IIHF). From all over the world, the NHL draws many highly skilled players and currently has players from approximately 20 countries. Historically, the majority of the players in the league have constituted from Canada with an increasing percentage of American and European players in recent seasons.
● Number of teams: 31
● Sport: Ice hockey
● Commissioner: Gary Bettman
● Founded: November 26, 1917 (100 years ago), Montreal, Quebec, Canada
● Inaugural season: 1917–18
● Countries: Canada (7 teams), United States (24 teams)
● Headquarters: New York City, New York, U.S.
● Continent: North America
● Most recent champion(s): Pittsburgh Penguins (5th title)
● Most titles: Montreal Canadiens (25 titles)
● TV partner(s):
- Canada: Sportsnet, TVA Sports
- United States: NBC, NHL Network, Univision
● Official website: NHL.com
● Let you know: Among domestic professional leagues in the world, The National Hockey League ranks fourth by total attendance 21,429,412.